Jakarta – Amid the serious efforts of the Government through the Ministry of Public Works and Public Housing (PUPR) to build infrastructure for equitable development in our country, especially those related to increasing inter-region connectivity to open isolated areas in Papua Province, an incident was perpetrated namely a shooting on the construction workers of the Aorak Kali Bridge (KM 102 + 525) and the Kali Yigi Bridge (KM 103 + 975) in Yigi District, Nduga District, Papua Province. The two bridge projects are part of Trans Papua segment 5, namely Wamena – Habema – Mugi – Kenyam – Batas Batu – Mumugu segment with a length of 278.6 km.
Based on information from the Papua Police Public Relations, December 3, 2018, the fatal shooting of workers from PT. Istaka Karya that occurred on Sunday, December 2, 2018 was allegedly done by the Armed Criminal Separatist Group (KKSB). We are still waiting for Confirmation from the Police and the Armed Forces on the number of workers who perished, sustained injuries and survived.
In response to the above, the Minister of Public Works and Public Housing (PUPR) Basuki Hadimuljono conveyed several important matters at the press conference, on December 4, 2018 in the Press Room of the Ministry of PUPR, Jakarta, as follows:
- We were shocked and deeply regret the re-occurrence of shooting on the construction workers of the Kali Yigi Bridge and the Aorak River Bridge on the Wamena – Habema – Kenyam – Batas Batu – Mumugu Section. We would convey our deep sorrow to the families of the workers from PT. Istaka Karya that fell victim.;
- We reiterate that the construction of the Wamena – Habema – Mugi – Kenyam – Batas Batu – Mumugu section is a priority program in President Joko Widodo’s and Vice President Jusuf Kalla’s Working Cabinet, as the implementation of Nawacita’s vision of “Building from the Periphery”. Bapak Jokowi happened to come on a working visit to directly monitor the progress of road construction on this section on May 10, 2017, and assigned the Ministry of PUPR to accelerate the completion of the construction of roads and bridges on the section;
- The construction of roads and bridges on this section has long been awaited by the local community and therefore received strong support from the people of Papua because it will be the closest route from the Port of Mumugu to the residents in the Central Mountains region. The existence of these roads is vital to reduce the cost of logistics and lower the level of expensiveness in the Central Mountains region of Papua;
- Between 2016 and 2019, the Ministry of PUPR through the Papua XVIII National Road Implementation Center, Directorate General of Highways, has programmed the construction of 35 bridges on the Wamena – Habema – Mugi – Kenyam – Batas Batu – Mumugu section to complete the whole road infrastructure, of which the details are as follows :
- 14 bridges are being undertaken by PT Istaka Karya with a contract value of Rp 184 billion, where the construction of 11 bridges is under implementation, and 3 bridges will start construction in 2019;
- 21 bridges are being undertaken by PT Brantas Abipraya with a contract value of Rp 246.8 billion where the construction of 5 bridges has been completed (Gat III Bridge, Gat II, Arwana, Merek and Wusi), while 9 bridges are under implementation (al Kali Kotek I, Kali Wolgilik, Kali Jun, Kali Labi, Kali Abeak, Kali Simal, Kali Moit, Kali Dumit and Kali Rora). But, since 4 months this was stopped due to a serious secuirity disturbance with victims. 7 bridges will start construction work in 2019;
- Without bridges, road users must cross the river on this section. At present the construction of the 35 bridges has been 70% completed.
- Considering the above mentioned matters, starting today (Tuesday, December 4, 2018) we will temporarily suspend the construction of bridges on the Wamena – Habema – Mugi – Kenyam – Batas Batu – Mumugu segments and will resume work according to the recommendations of the TNI and Polri;
- For this reason, we fully support the efforts and quick steps of the security forces, both TNI and Polri, to find and to take firm action against the perpetrators so as to create a conducive atmosphere for staff, contractors and consultants who work for and on behalf of the Ministry of PUPR and the Ministry / Other Institutions to build infrastructure for the realization of social justice and welfare in Papua;